Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Not reading lately?

I feel like I haven't been reading lately, but when I think about it, I actually have.  It just hasn't been much of what I really want to read. 

Last month our book club read The Cherry Cola Book Club.  It's about Maura Beth Mayhew, a librarian in Mississippi, who is struggling to keep the library open.  To bolster attendance and impress the city council, she decides to start a book club.  This was a cute book, best read with an internal southern accent.  However, it was a bit too sweet and saccharine for my tastes, with minimal character development.  Very light, fluffy read.  Would recommend for fans of cozy mysteries.


I also picked up the graphic novel, Lumberjanes.  Written for a YA audience, Lumberjanes follows a group of teens attending the Lumberjanes summer camp.   The Lumberjanes are similar to the girl scouts in that they earn badges for various activities.  This group of girls ends up getting into quite a bit of trouble, sneaking off in the middle of night and encountering some very strange paranormal creatures.  

My favorite books to read are non-fiction, so I picked up The Boys Who Challenged Hitler by Phillip Hoose.  The Danish resistance to the Nazi invasion was started by a group of 8th grade boys who formed a club called the Churchill Club.  They would ride around their bicycles and plan ways to sabotage the Nazis.  
 
They started by stealing Nazi weapons and eventually the group planned bigger acts like sneaking into headquarters and burning blueprints, and even destroying vehicles, and train cars.  They were captured, but their small acts of resistance inspired the rest of the country to begin a larger  movement. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I also like non fiction book, I love reading book and lot of other books.
oswaal books

Unknown said...

This book selection is nice, It shows like book fair is organise. thanks for the share.
IAS Academy in Agra

Plodit Wholesale said...

I love to read this book, Lumberjanes is a Interested and brilliant comic book series created by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis and Noelle Stevenson. Thank you for sharing.

Wholesale books

Unknown said...

Wow, It is simple and informative information, I am really thankful to read this article.
IAS Academy In bareilly

Plodit Wholesale said...

Thank you for sharing such a nice short story about Reading Books. I will go through this.
Wholesale books.

Anonymous said...

I love to read Graphic Novels when I am not into reading. The Reason is, you have a different perspective of the things by that way. It's an amazing article. Thanks for the Sharing.
I am currently reading Tower of Dawn Sarah J Maas Pdf
It's a new book release in the Throne of Glass Series. It is the continuation of the story of Chaol Westfall. I totally recommend this one to you for the book review as well as to read.

Anonymous said...

Ek is Абрам Александр, 'n sakeman wat in staat was om sy sterwende slap besigheid te laat herleef deur die hulp van 'n God gestuurde geldskieter, bekend as Benjamin Lee, die leningskonsultant. Ek woon in Jekaterinburg Екатеринбург. Probeer u om 'n besigheid te begin, u skuld te vereffen, u bestaande uit te brei, geld benodig om voorrade aan te koop. Het u probleme gehad om 'n goeie kredietfasiliteit te bekom, wil ek hê dat u moet weet dat mnr. Benjamin u sal sien. Is die regte plek vir u om al u finansiële probleme op te los, want ek is 'n lewende getuienis, en ek kan dit nie net by myself hou as ander op soek is na 'n manier om finansieel opgehef te word nie. gebruik die besonderhede soos aangedui in 'n ander om deel te neem aan hierdie wonderlike geleentheid. E-pos: Lfdsloans@outlook.com Of WhatsApp / Text + 1-989-394-3740.

Anonymous said...

I am old fashioned and like good old local bookstores. There is something endearing in the process of choosing the right book in the store or library. But during the corona quarantine I found this online store https://bit.ly/2SvJw4w Maybe someone would find it useful too.