Monday, April 28, 2014

4:09:43

4:09:43: Boston 2013 Through the Eyes of the Runners by Hal Higdon.

Before I left to run Boston, I happened to receive this book for review, so I was very interested to get a feeling for what to expect.
 
When I first started reading the book, it seemed a bit disjointed. It begins with a foreward, preface, and introduction. They were not in chronological order and they seemed to jump around quite a bit.  I was getting a little lost. Once the chapters started, the story stuck with a more chronological order that I appreciated. Each chapter focused on a different runner's perspective of that day. I got a true feeling for what it was like to be in Boston that day, first the nerves and anxiety, then the excitement, then the terror and sadness.

I appreciated hearing all the different perspectives, but I felt it could have been written better. Higdon is great running coach and writes well technically, but I felt this lacked a little in terms of writing style. Nonetheless, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in running and, more specifically, the Boston Marathon. You get a feeling of what it would be like to be there in the best of times and the worst of times.

No comments: